Thursday, April 23, 2020

Defrosting You Freezer

April 24, 2020

Just a quick note about defrosting your chest freezer...

Last week I defrosted my chest freezer.  Gail had been after me to do this for some time.  It is sure easy to lose track of what is in them.  It was a blessing to do this job and I found I had lots more frozen foods that I thought or knew about.  SO it is a good thing to do in term of knowing what is in your freezer BUT....

Defrosting also needs done to remove the ice that accumulates on the sides.  We are blessed now to have refrigerators that are frost free.  I used to remember my mom defrosting the top freezer in her refrigerator.  What a mess!

HINT - There is an easy way and safe way to do it!! 

  1. Unplug your freezer.
  2. Empty the contents.  I just stacked it all in a pile and put a blanket over it to keep cold while I defrosted.
  3. Bring a couple of large pans to a boil with water in them.  Set them in your freezer and shut the lid.  You may have to do reheat the water and do this two times if the ice is real thick.  
  4. Wait for the ice to fall off of the sides of the freezer.  It will be in big pieces.  Lift the ice out and put it in the sink to thaw or throw it outside.  If you do this as soon as the ice falls off you don't have much water to get out of the bottom of the freezer.   
 I don't think it is a good idea to use a sharp instrument to remove the ice as you are liable to damage your freezer.  This hot water method is quick and safe. 

You are now ready to restock your freezer and

REMEMBER TO PLUG IT BACK IN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment