Thursday, August 26, 2021

Refreshing your petunias....

 Aug. 26, 2021

In the fall I wrote a blog about getting your petunias to come up again in the spring.  I said to leave the old follage in the flower pots until spring.  Then it could be removed and watered and soon the tiny plants would begin sprouting.  Well - I took the folage off of mine and watered the pots this spring.  I was gone from home a few days and when I returned my sweet little dog had dug all of the dirt out of my pots!  

So I had to buy new potting soil and plants for the pots this year.  They have looked beautiful all summer but were starting to get spindly and strung out.  

So I want to tell you that about this time of year you can clip your petunias back.  Just trim the long stems off and they will start growing new ones again.  This way they will look fresh and good until the freezing weather comes. 

I trimmed these pots back about a week ago and they are starting to grow and bloom again.  

I did find out that the petunias I planted this year had more color and were prettier than those that came back from seed but then they also cost more money.  Hope you are having fun gardening too! So therapeudic and rewarding!

No comments:

Post a Comment