Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Save time and money - check your appliances out

 August 25, 2021



Just an encouragement for you to pay attention to your appliances because it can save you time and money and make the appliances last longer.  

1.  Check your dishwasher.  Is it getting the dishes clean?  I have a fairly new one and I wasn't very happy with the job it was doing on getting the dishes clean.  Many of the newer ones have filters that need to be taken out and washed.  Make sure you do that fairly often. I was washing my filter after every three or so loads but still the dishes weren't clean.   After some examination of my dishwasher, I found that a few of the openings on the arms where the water sprays out were plugged up.  It was not difficult to take the arms off and clean them out.  It works much better now!

2.  Remember to clean out the dust under your refrigerator with a vacuum once in awhile.  It lets it run cooler and will keep your house cooler during these hot days.

3.  Is your clothes dryer drying quickly?  If it takes a long time to dry you may need to clean out the vent hose on the back.  Sometimes it get too much lint in it.  In the winter I put an old nylon knee high hose on the back where the big hose goes to vent the dryer out of the house.  This puts heat and humidity in the house.  Because of lint it may need to be taken off and cleaned a couple of times during the winter.  You can gauge how often it needs changed by the amount of time it takes to dry a load of laundry. If the load is taking longer to dry then clean the nylon hose. Be sure to empty your regular lint filter too after every two or three loads of laundry  AND make sure there are no holes in it.  If there are you can take a needle and thread and sew the hole shut. It will help your dryer to keep the lint out of the vent hose. By taking care of these things your laundry time will less time and your electric bill may be lowered.

4.  Clean your washing machine.  I have seen some videos about disgusting washing machines.  I can't think most of them are that bad! But be proactive in keeping it clean and wiped out.  Mine is a front loading machine and it tends to mold.  To prevent that I use some spray to prevent mold and I keep the door ajar.

5.  Keep your oven wiped out on the bottom so it doesn't smoke the house up or cause a fire.  I purchased a mat that goes in the bottom of the oven.  If something spills over I can just take the mat out and wash it off.  It is an easy way to keep the oven clean.     Once we had a visitor who was helping to cook.  He was making biscuits.  He used powdered sugar instead of flour and the oven caught on fire and burned the element up that heated the oven.   I was able to replace it myself by going to ApplianceRepair.com and order the part.  So if you have an issue with some of your appliances you may be able to figure out the problem and fix it yourself. (I have now labeled my canisters after the powdered sugar was again used to make gravy!)

Just a few ideas to encourage and energize you!! Have a great day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment