Sunday, September 19, 2021

The spiritual aspect of being a grandparent....We have a wonderful opportunity and responsibility to help our grandchildren!

 Sept. 19, 2021

My last blog talked about being a good grandparent. It had lots of generic ideas that were good.  I was blessed to grow up with both sets of grandparents.  They both challenged me spiritually. One of my grandfathers could often be found sitting in his living room reading his Bible.  He would say, "Millie Jo where have you been reading in your Bible?" He held me accountable and also displayed to me that he read often in his Bible. When I was at my other grandparent's home, I would listen every morning as my grandad led in a devotion. I was so blessed to have spiritual guidance from my grandparents!!! In this blog, I want to address what the Bible says about our responsibilities as grandparents. 

Last year I spent some time with a grandmother and her grandchildren.  They were very distanced from one another and not close as a family.  It hurt my spirit that the grandmother was not able to love on and teach her grandchildren. I felt that the grandchildren were a little bit orphaned and left on their own.  

Soon after this experience, I heard on Family Talk a message by Dr. Dobson and Dr. Josh Mulvihill about grandparenting and ordered their book Equipping Grandparents.  Finally, I have gotten around to reading it. I have been very encouraged by it to be a more intentional grandmother spiritually.

The book says culture today says when you have raised your children and have gotten up in years that your work with the family is essentially done.  Culture says it is your time to kick back and enjoy life and live for yourself.   

However, the verses we read from the Bible would indicate otherwise. 

Deut. 4:9 Only be careful and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.

Deut 6:2 so that you, your children and their children after them may fear the Lord your God as long as you live by keeping all his decrees and commands that I give you, and so that you may enjoy long life.Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

Psalm 78:4-6 We will not hide them from their descendants;
    we will tell the next generation
the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord,
    his power, and the wonders he has done.
He decreed statutes for Jacob
    and established the law in Israel,
which he commanded our ancestors
    to teach their children,
so the next generation would know them,
    even the children yet to be born,
    and they in turn would tell their children.

The book says grandparents have an inherited faith they are to pass on to their family. (Ephesians 6:1-4; Psalm 78) It says grandparents should be disciple-makers of the future generations by focusing on the salvation and sanctification of their family. This goal can be reached by 1)having a multigenerational vision,  2)telling of the Lord's work through testimony, and 3) teaching obedience to God's commands based on the Bible.

There are approximately 30 million Christian grandparents in American. If we were all intentional in leading as Christian grandparents we could start a revival in America! No one loves a grandchild like a grandparent! May we be REALLY concerned and intentional about training them up in the Christian faith so that we may spend eternity with generations of them in heaven!!

Resources for you to look up and learn from: Legacy Coalition - it has many helpful resources; Josh Mulvihill also has grandparenting resources; Courageous Grandparenting by Cavin Harper.





No comments:

Post a Comment