Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Red Christmas cake with Waldorf Astoria Cake Frosting!

 My family has had Red Velvet Christmas cake for years as one of our traditions.  My brother, Brad, was born Christmas Eve in 1960.  Since he was small we have had this yummy cake at Christmas to celebrate both the birthday of a special brother and to celebrate the birth of Christ!  Our whole family loves it - especially with the unique frosting!

I wanted to get a good picture of the cake we made this year but I wasn't as quick on the draw as I wanted to be.  This picture shows, at least, what it


looks like.  The brilliant red color is so fun! I am sharing the recipe!

Red Christmas Cake

1 1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup Crisco or shortening - cream these two together.  Then add:

2 eggs

2 cup flour

1 cup buttermilk ( I use powdered buttermilk to make the cup of buttermilk.)

1 Tbls cocoa

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon soda

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 ounces (2 bottles) red food coloring

Put in three round layer cake pans.  Cook at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. When the cakes are done, I let them cool, remove them from the pans, and freeze them in the freezer on greased sheets of wax paper.  This makes the cakes easier to frost.  The crumbs stick to the cake and keep the frosting cleaner.  


Waldorf Astoria Cake Frosting

3 Tablespoons flour

1 cup milk - Cook flour and milk until thick, stirring constantly. Cool. I usually do this when I make the cake and let it cool in the refrigerator overnight.

Mix until well blended and fluffy:1 cup sugar

                        1 teaspoon vanilla

                        1 cup butter (NOT softened- but since it is cold you may need to cut it in chunks.)

Now add the milk/flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture.  Continue beating with the mixer until it looks like whipped cream.  This may take about 8 to 10 minutes depending upon your mixer. 

I usually make this recipe and then 1/2 it again so that there is plenty of frosting for the cake. 

It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO yummy.  It gives this red cake a completely different taste than the cream cheese frosting that is often used.  

No comments:

Post a Comment