Sunday, September 20, 2020

Guidelines in making decisions

 Sept. 20, 2020

What are we 'free' to do as Christians? When it comes to: movies, tv shows, school options, Bible studies, churches to attend, food, drink, drugs, hair or clothing styles, music, shopping, or hobbies, how do we know what to do? Sometimes we don't have point by point answers from the Bible for the activity we are considering. How do we make decisions that honor God for things that are not specifically addressed in scripture?

The following are a few ideas that I gleaned from a two-part sermon by John McArthur called: Using Your Liberties - the E's of Decision Making

1.  Will this 'thing' I'm considering be spiritually beneficial and profitable?  Is it helpful to me spiritually?

2.  Will this 'thing' edify (improve me spiritually) me?

3.  Will this 'thing encumber (restrict, burden) me?

4.  Will this 'thing' bring me into bondage? Is it habit forming?

5.  Is this 'thing' something I am doing to cover up my sin? Does it turn my liberty into license?

6.  Will this 'thing' train me to ignore my conscience?

7.  Will this 'thing' be a good example to others? Sometimes we must limit our freedoms to set a good example for someone else.

8.  Will it help me to or allow me to share my faith?

9.  Would Christ do this activity? Would I be emulating Christ?

10.  Will it bring Christ glory?

This is just a 'quick' recap of the messages.  You can find them on Grace to You on the internet.  

Hope this is helpful to you and the decisions that you make! Have a good day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment